Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Shack RETRACTION

In my previous blog post, I mentioned that in The Shack, Jesus is called a liar. This was a mistake on my part. I misread the line which actually said he had been lied TO, not that he had lied. This misconception had a lot to do with my violent reaction to this book.

After realizing my mistake, I felt it necessary to re-visit my previous review. I stand by my previous criticism of the writer's skill (someone hand him a thesaurus, please), and the over-use of church-isms, and my distaste for making Papa into a jolly, fat woman who uses a lot of improper English; however, I can overlook these things as a matter more of preference than anything else.

I know that in the book, it is explained that Papa being as "she" is, is to get beyond Mack's stereotypical idea of what God the Father looks like. I still don't like it, but I get what he was after. I just don't like calling the Father "she".

Anyway, I just wanted to put this out here. As my friend, Miriam pointed out, the scene with Sophia is an interesting take on what it means to judge. There are some good elements in the book, just not sold on it yet.

No comments: