Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Lost Art of Homemaking

On one of my internet bunny-trails (meaning I don't remember how I got there, or from where) I stumbled upon this site: FutureChristianHomemakers.com and I was reading through some of the lessons. I am SO excited about going through them with Rachel when she's a couple years older! I would love to start up a FCH group in my area, but even if that doesn't work out, it will be great to incorporate these things into our school days, as a sort of home ec.

I wish I had learned more when I was young. I had to pick things up as I went, which resulted in a lot more work, less tasty food, and messier house. My parents got divorced when I was 8, so my mom had to go to work. Plus, being a child of the 80's, homemaking as a "career" choice wasn't very popular. At the height of women's lib, homemaking was viewed as demeaning and undesirable. I didn't grow up planning to be a homemaker, but I am so thankful to God that I am one. I want to be the best homemaking wife and mother that I can be, and I hope someday Rachel will get to be a homemaker, too. I'm glad that women have the rights to have careers outside the home. I'm glad for our status in society that was brought about by women's lib, but I believe, when you have children at home, it's best to be there for them. This is part of why I homeschool... it all flows from the same source: I want to be the one to raise my children. My own, personal convictions keep me home (that and God's great mercy and grace), but I don't expect everyone to. I don't even expect Rachel to, but I hope she does.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

Just curious...are you saying that a working mom is not a good mom? Or that a working mom is not there for her kids?

love, learning and yarn said...

Didn't mean to offend anyone. Please read my post on working mothers.