Monday, June 1, 2009

Transformation

Two new updates:
1. Our painted lady butterfly larvae are getting fat and ready to transform. They're starting to hang upside down, which means they will be forming chrysalids soon. Here are some pictures from May 28th and from today (June 1st). Look how much bigger they have gotten!


The 2nd update is that my Central Park Hoodie is almost complete. I have finished the back, fronts, and sleeves. I blocked the back a while ago and am blocking 2 of the other 4 pieces right now, but I ran out of pins, so I have to wait to do the other 2 when these ones are dry. I really hope it fits. I will be able to sort of try it on once the blocking is done. I wish I could find my other box of pins. Here are some pictures of the front panels and sleeves, blocking and pre-blocking (the unblocked pieces are lying on top of the blocking pieces in the first pic):




For those who don't knit, blocking is a technique that usually involves getting a piece of knitted fabric wet, pinning it to the desired shape, and allowing it to dry. This relaxes the fabric, helps even out the stitches, and in natural fibers, it can help set the shape. My yarn for this sweater is only 20% wool, 80% acrylic, so I don't think blocking will do much to hold the shape, but it did give the fabric a nice drape, evened out my stitches and made it "grow" to the correct dimensions. Can't wait for this to be done! All I have left to knit is the hood and button band! Woo hoo!

No comments: